Protect your family and pets from deadly carbon monoxide poisoning | Forest Security
Forest Security Safety News

Protect your family and pets from deadly carbon monoxide poisoning


Carbon Monoxide is scary because you can’t see, smell or taste it, and it’s deadly, not just for humans, but for our pets too. It’s known as the silent killer for a reason. It effects pets much more than humans as they have a much lower tolerance to CO poisoning. On average, pets breathe about 2 breaths to our every one. So many times, pets have signs of CO poisoning weeks before we do.

What are the signs that my pet may have been exposed to carbon monoxide?

The first signs are from the impact on their physiology such as labored breathing, nausea, vomiting or if they show signs of a disturbed gait by walking in a peculiar way like they are drunk. These all may be signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.

So where does CO leaks come from?

Anything in the home that is not powered by electricity such as a natural gas water heater, natural gas range, natural gas furnace, or anything that may be fueled by gasoline, kerosene, oil, propane or even a wood burning fireplace.

What is the best way to make sure your home is carbon monoxide free?

Always have working carbon monoxide detectors in your home. The ones you buy at your local home store are a good start. They will alert you if CO is detected, and some have a battery backup.

but what if you are not home and your pet is?

A better solution is with a Forest Monitored CO detector. It will alert you and everyone in the home to evacuate if CO is detected and if you are not home, we will contact the authorities who can help remove any pets that are in danger. They also are monitored to ensure they are working properly so you can be sure everyone is protected. They also have a monitored battery backup system so if you lose power, they will continue to work.

This is particularly Important because?

In many cases, if there is a power loss, people will turn to backup generators. Bringing a generator indoors is never an option! It is like having 100 idling cars inside your home…  Make sure your generator is located outdoor, far enough away from your home so no exhaust can get inside. Also never grill or use a hibachi in your garage, even with the door open. The CO gas can easily leak back into the residence.

A few other notes about Carbon Monoxide

  • It is not heavier than air so it does not stay at floor level. CO gas weighs the same as air so it mixes with it. Anywhere air is, CO can be there too.
  • CO gas can penetrate drywall so it can leak into a room even with the door closed

From a “Newday Northwest” interview with Sharon Cooksey/Fire Safety Educator – See the video below:




    Business or Residential?


    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA. Google's Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Forest Security
    Call Now Button